Yields about 3 lb
- 16 oz Mini marshmallows
- 2 lb Sifted powdered sugar
- 3.5 oz Shortening
- 2.5 Tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Gum Tragacanth (this adds firmness and elasticity)
You will need:
- Large bowl
- Plastic spatula
- Plastic wrap
- Air-tight container or Ziploc bag
- Sift the powdered sugar and premeasure your ingredients
- In a microwaveable container, add the marshmallows and water
- Heat the marshmallows in the microwave for 30 seconds, remove and stir. Repeat this heating 3 more times, or until all marshmallow lumps are gone. If you are doubling the batch, increase this time to about 1 minute.
- In a large bowl or clean counter, place about 3/4 of the powdered sugar and make a hole in sugar bed
- Poor the melted marshmallow mix into the hole
- Add the shortening, gum tragacanth, and the rest of the powdered sugar on top of the melted marshmallows
- Fold the sugar into the melted marshmallows with a spatula
- Continue to fold, pushing the sugar into the melted marshmallows - this takes a few minutes!
- As the mixture thickens, start using your hands to work the ingredients together - it is normal for it to be quite sticky
- Continue mixing and massaging the fondant together with your hands
- After all the fondant has come together, give the fondant a good final knead and clean your workspace
- Double wrap your finished fondant in plastic wrap and leave it to cool
- Place the fondant inside a Ziploc bag or airtight container and in the refridgerator for a minimum of 8 hours minimum, to mature - this step is required to get the stretchy and elastic fondant (do not use the freezer before maturing completely as this will ruin the fondant)
Notes: You can tweek this recipe with increased heating, more sugar or gum, or less water to increase firmness. Also, you can add a dash of vegetable glycerin, or corn syrup to help increase smoothness.To use: After maturing, bring your fondant to room temperature and mix with your desired icing colors. This fondant responds well to either gel color or oi-based colors.
To Store: Store fondant double wrapped in an air-tight container at...
- Room temperature for 3 to 4 weeks
- Refrigerated for 1-2 months, or
- Frozen for 6-8 months